Choquequirao Magic Trek – 5 Days / 4 Nights
- Duration: 5 days / 4 nigths.
- Starting point: Cusco
- Ending point: Cusco
- Group Size: Small Group Max 10, Avg. 5
- Travel Style: Hiking, Trekking, Archaeological and Cultural trek.
- Trek Rating: The Choquequirao Trek is one of the most interesting routes in Peru.
- Difficult Level: Moderate to Challenging.
- Altitude: 2,800 masl to 3110 masl (Highest point).
- Walking distance: 45 km. or 28 miles.
- Departure Dates: Daily departures
- This Trek gets to Choquequirao also known as “the sacred sister of Machu Picchu”
- Explore the ruins and learn about the mysteries of the ancient Inca Culture visiting this incredible archaeological site.
- Hiking alongside to beautiful landscapes and see natural bridges, Andean valleys, snowcapped mountains, cascades and cloud forest
- Ideal for couples, group of friends, nature lovers, and for all family.
- Informative Trip led by a friendly and expert local guide
- All entrance tickets and permits are includes
- All necessary equipment included
- Complimentary pickup and drop off from all Cusco hotels
- Complimentary luggage storage while hiking.
- Once-in-a-Lifetime Experience
What you can expect
The Inca City of Choquequirao was a gorgeous and very important place in the Inca civilization being the nexus between the Amazon jungle and the Cusco City.
This trek to Choquequirao is ideal for many tourists who want to explore the Andes and what are really interested in learning about the Inca Civilization.
The route combines beautiful mountain scenery and unbelievable panoramic views, lush cloud-forest, a subtropical jungle of splendid natural surroundings, with the amazing Choquequirao Archaeological Site little known, which has magnificent work of the Inca masons such as an outstanding mix of Inca paving stones placed over trails, temples, Inca houses, agriculture terraces, warehouses, water channels, fountains and much more, whole this can be visited currently.
Finally, before you discover this fabulous trek for yourself, we invite you to join us on a virtual tour over Peruvian Andes, on one of the most beautiful treks of South America… Now, take a breath, imagine and dream, you are almost in CHOQUEQUIRAO…Welcome!
Day 1: CUSCO – CACHORA – CHIQUISCA
We will pick you up from your hotel at 5.00 am in our transport, and then drive for 3 hours to CACHORA (2909 m. / 9543 ft.), village where we will have breakfast and we will prepare our bags before we begin the hike. We start our path around 9:00 am. From here, the first 2 hours hike will be along a beautiful, descending path, there are spectacular views of the valley and river. The path is surrounded by lovely flowers and plants such as begonias, orchids, cactus and you can see some local birds, and we arrive to nice view point called CAPULIYOC (2915 m. / 9561 ft.), from here, we will have the privilege to see spectacular views of Padrayoc and Wayna Cachora snowcapped peaks (mountains over 5400 m.). At this point we will have some time to enjoy our snacks and we take some pictures of the breathtaking views of the river and the canyon stretching down the valley. From here we will descend through a unique zigzag path for 2 hours more to reach our place for lunch. Finally around 1 pm. we will have lunch. You have time to relax, put your feet up and have some refreshing tea, before we get ready to hike again for 2 hours more descending, so, we will reach our campsite called CHIQUISCA (1836 m. / 6023 ft.) around 5 pm. Once at the camp we´ll have a few hours before nightfall to enjoy a delicious cup of coffee, popcorn and cookies and later our dinner before going to sleep.
Hiking time: 6 hours
Walk distance: 15 km. /9.3 mi.
Weather: warm day
Altitude: from 2909 m. down to 1836 m.
Day 2: CHIQUISCA – APURIMAC RIVER – CHOQUEQUIRAO CAMP.
After our breakfast, we will leave early, throughout the day we will see a wide variety of bromeliads, orchids and stands of bamboo; we’ll also hope see birds such as Andean Quetzals, Toucans an a variety of hummingbirds. From our campsite we walk around 1 hour in order to descend to the bottom of the Canyon, called PLAYA ROSALINAS and the magnificent APURIMAC RIVER (1550 m./ 5084 ft). From here we will begin probably the hardest section of the path due to the ascension, 2 hours steep climb to SANTA ROSA (2095 m.) where we will stop for a refreshing break and from SANTAROSA we will continue uphill for another 2 hours towards MARAMPATA (2913m / 9557ft), a flat ground where we can have a break and we will have our lunch, enjoy the views of Apurimac Canyon. Here we take advantage of the facilities (toilets and wash room). After a rest, we’ll prepare to continue 2 more hours toward our destination at Choquequirao Camp (3033m/9951ft). Today we’ll arrive at the camp at 5pm. Here we will receive a delicious cup of hot chocolate and crackers and later our dinner before we head off to our confortable tent to save energy for the next day.
Hiking time: 7 hours
Walk distance: 18 km. / 11.2 mi.
Weather: Hot day
Altitude: from 1836 m. down to 1550 m. and from 1550 m. up to 3033 m.
Day 3: CHOQUEQUIRAO INCA SITE – MARAMPATA
Today is the most important day because we’ll visit the Great Inca Site CHOQUEQUIRAO (3110 m. / 10120 ft.), which we’ll find 15 minutes from our camp. After a delicious breakfast, we will have practically a full day exploring the mysterious Inca site CHOQUEQUIRAO, where our professional Tour Guide will explain about the history of this magnificent Inca site. Originally discovered in the 17th century by the Spanish, it lay abandoned and forgotten until recent years when tourism raised the profile of the city and exploration began. Even with this increased interest only 35% of the city has been explored and many of its secrets still wait to be discovered. Actually we can visit the most important zones such as the main plaza, the inca houses, the granaries, the ceremonial sector and its altars, the famous terraces, and the great Llama sector where Incas represented this sacred animal on their buildings. After our guiding visit, you have extra time to explore and enjoy the place by yourself. In the afternoon you’ll have a delicious lunch and after your visit you’ll begin the trek back to CACHORA along the route that we came. We start our trek back, walking 2 hours to MARAMPATA (2913 m./ 9557ft.) where we have dinner and a good break where we will see a very nice sunset over mountains, and if we may be lucky enough to spot Condors soaring nearby over the valley below. Camping at MARAMPATA campsite (bathrooms and cold water showers are available).
Hiking time: 2h. guiding tour at Choquequirao + 2 h. exploring by yourself +2h. to camp
Walk distance: 6 km.
Weather: Warm day
Altitude: from 3110 m. down to 2913 m.
Day 4: MARAMPATA – PLAYA ROSALINAS – CHIQUISCA
After our delicious breakfast about 7 am. we will start this day descending toward the deep canyon. From MARAMPATA campsite we will walk down 1 hour and 30 minutes to SANTA ROSA our first place where we have a stop for a refreshing break, after this stop we will continue descending for another 1 and half hour toward PLAYA ROSALINAS, where we’ll have our lunch spot, sits at the bottom of the canyon. Here we will cross the Apurimac River (1550 m. / 5084 ft.). for a footbridge. After our lunch and a rest, from here we will continue our trek with the 2 hours ascent toward to the village of CHIQUISCA (1930m. / 6332ft.), where we will spend the night in our comfortable tents, here we will find some water, soda drinks, beers in a humble straw house offered by local people.
Hiking time: 6 hours
Walk distance: 18 km.
Weather: Hot day
Altitude: from 3110 m. down to 1550 m. and from 1550 up to 1930 m.
Day 5: CHIQUISCA – CAPULIYOC – CACHORA – CUSCO
This last day of our trek, we wake up very early in order to get back to Cusco. After a delicious breakfast, from this point we climb for about 4 hours to CAPULIYOC (2850m. / 9350 ft.). This is once a lifetime, walking through the beautiful and nice panoramic views, this point will be our last stop over where we will have our outdoor lunch and from here we can again observe the beautiful canyon of the Apurimac and say goodbye to the valley. Them, after our lunch finally we will walk the last 2 hours to get the village called CACHORA (2909 m. / 9543 ft.), refreshingly flat through pretty farming countryside. Here we will say our farewell to our horsemen who carried all our belongings along the way. Here our private car will be waiting for us, to take us back to Cusco (3:30 hours’ drive). We will arrive to CUSCO between 5 and 6pm. and finally we leave you at your hotel.
Hiking time: 6 hours
Walk distance: 15 km.
Weather: Hot day
Altitude: from 1930 m. up to 2909 m.
INCLUDED IN YOUR TOUR:
- Pre meeting and briefing of preparation with your guide 1 or 2 days before the trek at our Cusco Office.
- Safe storage for your belongings at our office in Cusco while you are hiking.
- Pick up from your Cusco hotel.
- Transport from Cusco until Cachora (trailhead) in private car.
- Professional English speaking Tour Guide.
- A second Tour Guide (for groups of 9 or more trekkers).
- Cook and cook assistant to prepare all feeding.
- Entrance fees to Choquequirao Inca Site and the campsite fees.
- 2 hours guided tour in Choquequirao Inca site
- All meals during the trek( 05 breakfasts, 05 lunches, 04 tea time, 04 dinners)There is the possibility of preparing vegetarian or special diets according to your requirement
- Boiled water to refill your water bottle and hot water for washing purposes.
- Horsemen and horses to carry all camping equipment, personal belongings, food, sleeping tents and kitchen equipment.
- We carry until 8 kg. of your load, so you’ll only walk with your daypack with water (For this load, we will provide duffel bags at your briefing for your personal items).
- One emergency horse which can be ridden if you are feeling ill or too tired.
- The best camping equipment to enjoy a good night’s sleep:
- Dormitory Tent (High Quality Mountain Tents for 4 people, it will be used only for 2 people for your better comfort) and enough space storage for your backpacks.
- Inflatable Mattress Thermarest.
- Dining Tent + camp tables + chairs + gas lamp for the evenings.
- Kitchen Tent and full cooking gear for preparing all meals.
- First Aid Kit and emergency Oxygen balloon.
- Transport from Cachora until your hotel at Cusco in private car.
OPTIONAL SERVICES: Until the last day before your trek, at our Travel Office in Cusco, If you want, you have the option to add to your reserved trek, for an additional payment, the following things:
- Sleeping bag (you can rent it from our Travel Office + $ 5.oo USD per day).
- A pair of trekking poles (you can rent it from our Travel Office + $ 5.oo USD per day).
- An Extra horse to ride (If you want to do the trail horseback riding, you can rent it in our Travel Office + US$ 150.oo for whole trail).
- Personal Trekking gear (please, check the Choquequirao trekking packing list page).
- Travel Insurance.
- Optional Tips for the travel team (only if you want, at the end of the trail you can give some tips for the tour guide, cook and horsemen).
WHAT´S TO TAKE
Many people assume that the weather is hot in South America, but in the zone of the higher altitude of the Andes, the temperature can feel quite cold, especially at night. So we provide you the full list to organize your backpack from now, if you don’t have one of them, so you can buy it with some time in advance but if you cannot do it, don’t worry there are many camping stores in Cusco City where you can hire or buy what you need.
Please, check this CHOQUEQUIRAO TREK Packing List and remember that everything is very important for the success of your trek.
- Original Passport
- Student Card, if you are student
- Travel Insurance (some copies)
- A printed voucher issued for us.
- Day pack.
- Sleeping bag.
- Water bottle.
- Purifying tablets or filter
- Some snacks such as cookies, candies, chocolates, energy bars.
- Money belt and some cash, if you want to buy some souvenirs of your visit
- Hiking Shoes and Sandals.
- Warm clothes: especially for the nights as thermal jacket, glove, scarf, wool socks, wool hat for cold nights.
- Waterproof clothing (rain jacket and poncho)
- Synthetic or cotton clothing (hiking pants, socks, trousers, short pants, 4 t-shirts)
- Sun Hat
- Personal medical kit with bandages and anti-inflammatory tablets
- Insect repellent.
- Sun block
- Small towel.
- Toothpaste and toothbrush
- Soap / body wash
- Shampoo and conditioner
- Hairbrush /comb
- Deodorant / body spray
- Toilet paper
- Flashlight (head lamp recommended)
- Photo Camera with extra memory cards and batteries.
- Walking poles with rubber-tipped (Optional).
- Pocket knife
- Some plastic bags.
- A sense of humor.
- We recommend a previous acclimatization in Cuzco City, for at least 2 days and general good health.
AVAILABILITY AND PRICES
AVAILABILITY OF CHOQUEQUIRAO TREK 5 DAYS – 2019
Remember to book your trip at least 3 weeks before. The available spaces are unlimited, a figure in which tourists, guides, cooks and muleteers are counted.
IMPORTANT: Please note that this tour requires a minimum of 2 adults.
General: USD $ 550.oo
The prices of the Trek Choquequirao excursion 5 days / 4 nights are expressed in US dollars and for each excursionist.