- Duration: 2 Days / 1 Night.
- Starting point: Cusco
- Ending point: Cusco
- Group Size: Small Group – Max 8, Avg 4 people.
- Travel Style: Hiking, Trekking, Archaeological and Cultural trek.
- Trek Rating: The Inca Trail is by far the most famous trek in South America
- Difficult Level: Easy to Moderate.
- Altitude: 2,100 masl to 2,700 masl or feet (Sun Gate – Highest point).
- Walking distance: 12 km. or 7.60 miles.
- Departure Dates: Daily departures (excluding February when the trail is closed). It is strongly recommended to book your Inca Trail 2 days, at least 4 months in advance as permits can quickly sell out.
- The Inca Trail to Machu Picchu is the most famous trek of South America
- Hiking alongside to beautiful landscapes and see natural bridges, Andean valleys, cascades and cloud forest.
- Explore ruins along the Inca Trail and learn about the mysteries of the ancient Inca Culture.
- Visit the archaeological site of Machu Picchu considering one of the 7 new wonders of the World.
- Ideal for couples, group of friends, nature lovers, and for all family
- Informative Trip led by a friendly and expert local guide
- All entrance tickets and permits are includes
- Complimentary safe luggage storage while hiking.
- Complimentary pick up and drop off from all Cusco Hotels.
- Real-time Inca Trail permits information.
- Once in a lifetime experience.
WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT:
This short Inca Trail to Machu Picchu combines beautiful mountain scenery and unbelievable panoramic views, lush cloud-forest, a subtropical jungle of splendid natural surroundings, with the magnificently work of the Incas such as an outstanding mix of Inca paving stones placed over trail, agriculture terraces, water fountains, tunnels and amazing archaeological sites including the famous Sun Gate and the sunset over Machu Picchu. This trek is ideal for those who have limited time and those who want to have an easily achievable hike.
This great trek starts from Cusco, and then by bus to Ollantaytambo, where we will catch a train to Km. 104 – the trailhead, this zone has a very good weather with an average temperature of 23 centigrade and the hikers will enjoy the Inca ruins which are located along the 12 kilometers trail.
Really it’s a unique experience, sharing unforgettable moments in full contact with nature, and finally reaching to the famous Inca City of Machu Picchu, where we will admire its magic and charm, and we will observed its large old buildings wrapped of a great history, which actually make it recognized as a World Wonder.
The Inca Trail is one of those things that nobody should lose the opportunity to do it. Everyone should do once in lifetime; be you women or man, young or old, have good or bad physical condition… The Inca Trail is simply for everyone…
SHORT INCA TRAIL TO MACHU PICCHU – ITINERARY:
DÍA 1: CUSCO – OLLANTAYTAMBO – KM. 104 – INTI PUNKU (SUN GATE) – AGUAS CALIENTES:
Highlights of the day: Explore the Inca Trail from Km. 104 in a day full of emotions … Arrive walking in the afternoon to Machu Picchu and enjoy its magic and charm…
We pick you up very early from your Cusco Hotel, and then we will go during 1 hour and 30 minutes to the Ollantaytambo Train Station from where we caught a the Train. From here the rail road goes beside of the Urubamba river, along the way you will see spectacular views of farmlands and the Veronica snowcapped peak. After 1 hour and 30 minutes you will get the Km. 104 –the trail head- Here is located the first check point where we are going to show the passports, permits and entrances tickets. After this control we start our trek and we will find the first archeological site called Chachabamba (2100 m.) which we visit with the explanations from our guide. From Chachabamba we will walk going up for about 3 hours, and in this part we will find several cascades, and we will reach the next archeological site called Wiñay Wayna (2600 m./ 8500 feet), which is the most beautiful inca place on the Inca Trail and unfortunately not many people get to see. There are some water fountains, temples and some agricultural terraces which provide a perfect opportunity to learn more about the Inca culture.
From Wiñay Wayna we will walk for about one and half hour to get the Sun Gate. The path is narrow, traverses a lush cloud forest of giant ferns and brings a short part with almost vertical ascent of about 50 steps to Inti Punku or Sun Gate located at 8920 feet (2719 masl.). This is a view point, where you’ll get your first fantastic view of Machu Picchu and its surroundings with spectacular views of the mountains and you´ll have a short break and time to take nice panoramic pictures of Machu Picchu.
From the Sun Gate you´ll hike about 40 minutes going down, as we approach Machu Picchu the views of the city just get better and better! . You will have plenty of time to take photos of the “Lost city of the Incas”, from the classic postcard view and different angles around, and finally at about 5: 00 pm. you will reach Machu Picchu. After taking photos we take the bus down to Aguas Calientes Town during 30 minutes, where we spend the night in a confortable hotel, our dinner will be at the tourist restaurant which is included. During dinner our tour guide will provide you very important information about your next day, so you’re fully prepared for your visit to Machu Picchu on the last day.
After all this, it is advisable to go to sleep at a reasonable time in order to wake up in the early hours of the morning to get to Machu Picchu.
Hiking Time: Aprox. 6 hours.
Walking distance: 12 Km. / 7.60 millas.
Difficlty Level: Moderate.
Elevation: From 2000 m. going up to 2700 m. and from 2700 going down to 2400 m.
DÍA 2: AGUAS CALIENTES – MACHU PICCHU – OLLANTAYTAMBO – CUSCO:
Highlights of the day: Arrive early to Machu Picchu – even before trekkers from the Inca Trail 4 days and the travelers by train … Enjoy a superb sunrise on a clear morning in Machu Picchu … Optional with a pre-reserved entrance ticket you can climb the Huayna Picchu Mountain or Machu Picchu Mountain…
This is most important day of our excusrsion, we will start our second and amazing day very early in order to get Machu Picchu before even the Inca Trail Trekkers and the people from the tourist trains and to have the opportunity to enjoy the sunrise at Machu Picchu. After our breakfast, we will leave from our Aguas Calientes hotel at 5:30 am. and we will walk towards Bus Station (2000 m.a.s.l.), from here we ascend in tourist bus for 30 minutes by a zig zag road until Inca Sanctuary of MACHU PICCHU (2400 m.a.s.l.).
We will see this amazing place and starting our guiding visit, which will be last approximately 2 hours with our professional Tour Guide, where he will explain about the history, visiting magical and interesting places that have made Machu Picchu one of the Wonders of the World. After the tour you will have enough free time to take photos, walk or explore the site by yourselves, and there is the possibility to climbing up to Huayna Picchu Mountain according availability.
Then in the afternoon, after enjoying Machu Picchu, we will caught the tourist bus, going down for about 25 minutes to Aguas Calientes Town, here you will have time to have lunch in one of the good restaurants. At 6:00 pm. we will board the return train to take us to Ollantaytambo Town arriving at 7:50 pm, here our transfer will be waiting for you, who will bring you in tourist bus back to Cusco arriving at 9: 30 pm. approximately, and finally we will leave you at your Cusco hotel.
Hiking Time: 2 hours with the group visiting Machu Picchu + 4 hours exploring by yourself.
Walking distance: It depend the area you want to explore at Machu Picchu.
Difficulty Level: Moderate.
Elevation: From 2000 m. going up to 2400 m. (By bus).
INCLUDED IN YOUR TOUR:
- Pre meeting and briefing of preparation with your tour guide 1 or 2 days before your trek at our Cusco Office.
- Safe storage for your belongings at our office in Cusco while you are hiking.
- Pick up from your hotel.
- Transport from Cusco until Ollantaytambo Train Station in private bus.
- Tourist train ticket from Ollantaytambo Train Station to Km.104 – Trailhead.
- Professional English speaking Tour Guide.
- A second Tour Guide (for groups of 9 or more trekkers).
- Entrance fees to Inca Trail.
- Entrance ticket to Machu Picchu Inca Site.
- All meals during the trek (01 breakfast, 02 lunches, 01 dinner).
- There is the possibility of preparing vegetarian or special diets according to your requirement without charge.
- A water bottle every morning.
- First Aid Kit and emergency Oxygen balloon carried for our tour guide.
- Bus ticket down from Machu Picchu Inca Site to Aguas CalientesTown on Day 1
- 2 hours guided tour in Machu Picchu Inca site.
- Bus ticket up and down from Machu Picchu and Aguas Calientes on Day 2.
- Tourist train return ticket from Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo on Day 2.
- Tourist bus from Ollantaytambo train station until your hotel at Cusco.
- 1 night accommodation at Hotel located in the town of Aguas Calientes. *
*This service will be providing in the Hotel Killa Inn (www.grupokillamachupicchu.com/360/killa.html), or some other similar hotel, in single, double or triple, according to your requirement. All hotels reserved for us are clean and safe, including breakfast, private bathroom with hot water, Wi-Fi, cable TV, and free storage to leave your bags while you are visiting Machu Picchu.
– After you make the reservation and payment of this tour, we will send you a confirmation e-mail stating the hotel name and the time of your trip by train.
– If you book a Hotel by yourself, or if you already have a hotel booked, let us know to give you the corresponding discount.
Until the last day before your trek, at our Cusco Travel Office situated in the downtown, If you want, you have the option to add to your reserved trek, for an additional payment, the following things:
- A pair of trekking poles (you can rent it from our Travel Office + $10.oo USD per whole the hike).
- Entrance ticket to Huayna Picchu Mountain (In this case, please require it when you book your trek because is subject to availability, just 400 spaces a day + USD $. 80.00 ).
- Entrance ticket to Mchu Picchu Mountain (In this case, please require it when you book your trek because is subject to availability, just 400 sapaces a day + USD $. 80.00 ).
• Personal Trekking gear (please, check the Inca Trail what to take link).
• Travel Insurance.
• Optional Tips for the travel team (only if you want, at the end of the trail you can give some tips for the tour guide).
WHAT TO TAKE TO INCA TRAIL – 2 DAYS / 1 NIGHT:
Many people assume that the weather is hot in South America, but in the zone of the higher altitude of the Andes, the temperature can feel quite cold, especially at night. So we provide you the full list to organize your backpack from now, if you don’t have one of them, so you can buy it with some time in advance but if you cannot do it, don’t worry there are many camping stores in Cusco City where you can hire or buy what you need.
Please, check this SHORT INCA TRAIL Packing List and remember that everything is very important for the success of your trek.
- Original Passport.
- Student Card, if you are student.
- Travel Insurance (some copies).
- A printed voucher issued for us.
- Day pack.
- Water bottle.
- Some snacks such as cookies, candies, chocolates, energy bars and others.
- Money belt and some cash, if you want to buy some souvenirs of your visit.
- Hiking Shoes.
- Thermal Jacket especially for the night when you are coming back.
- Waterproof clothing (rain jacket and poncho).
- Synthetic or cotton clothing (hiking pants, short pants, 2 t-shirts).
- Swimsuit and sandals. (If you want to visit the Hot springs).
- Sun Hat.
- Personal medical kit with bandages and anti-inflammatory tablets.
- Insect repellent.
- Sun block.
- Toothpaste and toothbrush.
- Soap / body wash.
- Shampoo and conditioner.
- Hairbrush /comb.
- Deodorant / body spray.
- Toilet paper.
- Photo Camera with extra memory cards and batteries.
- Walking poles with rubber-tipped (Optional).
- Pocket knife
- A sense of humor.
- We recommend a previous acclimatization in Cuzco City, for at least 1 day and general good health.