- Duration: 4 days / 3 nights.
- Starting point: Cusco
- Ending point: Cusco
- Group Size: Small Group Max 10, Avg. 5
- Travel Style: Hiking, Trekking, Archaeological and Cultural trek.
- Trek Rating: The Choquequirao Trek is one of the most interesting routes in Peru
- Difficult Level: Moderate to Challenging.
- Altitude: 2,800 masl to 3110 masl (Highest point).
- Walking distance: 45 km. or 28 miles.
- Departure Dates: Daily departures
- This Trek gets to Choquequirao also known as “the sacred sister of Machu Picchu”
- Explore the ruins and learn about the mysteries of the ancient Inca Culture visiting this incredible archaeological site.
- Hiking alongside to beautiful landscapes and see natural bridges, Andean valleys, snowcapped mountains, cascades and cloud forest
- Ideal for couples, group of friends, nature lovers, and for all family.
- Informative Trip led by a friendly and expert local guide
- All entrance tickets and permits are includes
- All necessary equipment included
- Complimentary pickup and drop off from all Cusco hotels
- Complimentary luggage storage while hiking.
- Once-in-a-Lifetime Experience
What you can expect
The Inca City of Choquequirao was a gorgeous and very important place in the Inca civilization being the nexus between the Amazon jungle and the Cusco City.
This trek to Choquequirao is ideal for many tourists who want to explore the Andes and what are really interested in learning about the Inca Civilization.
The route combines beautiful mountain scenery and unbelievable panoramic views, lush cloud-forest, a subtropical jungle of splendid natural surroundings, with the amazing Choquequirao Archaeological Site little known, which has magnificent work of the Inca masons such as an outstanding mix of Inca paving stones placed over trails, temples, Inca houses, agriculture terraces, warehouses, water channels, fountains and much more, whole this can be visited currently.
Finally, before you discover this fabulous trek for yourself, we invite you to join us on a virtual tour over Peruvian Andes, on one of the most beautiful treks of South America… Now, take a breath, imagine and dream, you are almost in CHOQUEQUIRAO…Welcome!
Day 1: CUSCO – CACHORA – CHIQUISCA
We will pick you up from your hotel at 5.00 am in our transport, and then drive for 3 hours to CACHORA (2909 m. / 9543 ft.), village where we will have breakfast and we will prepare our bags before we begin the hike. We start our path around 9:00 am. From here, the first 2 hours hike will be along a beautiful, descending path, there are spectacular views of the valley and river. The path is surrounded by lovely flowers and plants such as begonias, orchids, cactus and you can see some local birds, and we arrive to nice view point called CAPULIYOC (2915 m. / 9561 ft.), from here, we will have the privilege to see spectacular views of Padrayoc and Wayna Cachora snow capped peaks (mountains over 5400 m.). At this point we will have some time to enjoy our snacks and we take some pictures of the breathtaking views of the river and the canyon stretching down the valley. From here we will descend through a unique zigzag path for 2 hours more to reach our place for lunch. Finally around 1 pm. we will have lunch. You have time to relax, put your feet up and have some refreshing tea, before we get ready to hike again for 2 hours more descending, so, we will reach our campsite located at CHIQUISCA (1836 m. / 6023 ft.) around 5 pm. where we will spend the night.
Hiking time: 6 hours
Walk distance: 19km.
Weather: warm day
Altitude: from 2915 m. down to 1836 m.
Day 2: CHIQUISCA – MARAMPATA – CHOQUEQUIRAO RUINS
After our breakfast, we will leave early, throughout the day we will see a wide variety of bromeliads, orchids and stands of bamboo; we’ll also hope see birds such as: watchbird, Toucans and a variety of hummingbirds. From our campsite we walk around 1 hour in order to descend to the bottom of the Canyon, called PLAYA ROSALINAS and the magnificent APURIMAC RIVER (1550 m. / 5084 ft). From here we will begin probably the hardest section of the path due to the ascension; 2 hours steep climb to SANTA ROSA (2095 m. / 6873 ft.) where we will have time to take a refreshing break. From SANTA ROSA we will continue uphill for another 2 hours towards MARAMPATA (2913m / 9557ft), a flat ground where we can have a break and enjoy the views of Apurimac Canyon and the famous Inca site of Choquequirao. Here We’ll have lunch and take advantage of the facilities (toilets and wash room).After lunch We will continue to hike for another one hour to reach our campsite which is located just outside of the Great Inca Site CHOQUEQUIRAO (3110 m. / 10120 ft.) and We will spend the late evening in the ruins, where we will see a very nice sunset over mountains, and if we may be lucky enough to spot Condors soaring nearby over the valley below. Camping at CHOQUEQUIRAO campsite (bathrooms and cold water showers are available).
Hiking time: 7-8hours
Weather: Hot day
Altitude: from 1836 m. down to 1550 m. and from 1550 m. up to 3110 m.
Day 3: CHOQUEQUIRAO – MARAMPATA – LA PLAYA
After our early breakfast we will visit the mysterious Inca site of CHOQUEQUIRAO, where our professional Tour Guide will explain about the history of this magnificent Inca site. Originally discovered in the 17th century by the Spanish, it lay abandoned and forgotten until recent years when tourism raised the profile of the city and exploration began. Even with this increased interest only 50% of the city has been explored and many of its secrets still wait to be discovered. Actually we can visit the most important zones such as the main plaza, the inca houses, the granaries, the ceremonial sector and its altars, the famous terraces, and the great Llama sector where Incas represented this sacred animal on their buildings. After our guiding visit, we have extra time to explore and enjoy the place by ourselves, and after your visit you’ll begin the trek back to CACHORA along the route that we came. We start our trek back, walking one hour to MARAMPATA where we have lunch and a good break. After lunch we continue for a 4 hour walk downhill and we will reach our campsite located in the base of the valley, called LA PLAYA (1550 m./ 5084 ft.) where we are going to spend the night beside the famous river Apurimac ( “God speaks” )
Hiking time: 6 hours
Walk distance: 13km.
Weather: Hot day
Altitude: from 3110 m. down to 1550 m.
Day 4: LA PLAYA – CAPULIYOC – CACHORA – CUSCO
We will leave the campsite extremely early, in order to arrive back to Cusco by the evening. From this point we climb for about 4 hours to CAPULIYOC. This is once a lifetime, walking through the beautiful and nice panoramic views, this point will be our last stop over where we will have our outdoor lunch. Them, after our lunch finally we will walk the last 2 hours to get the village called CACHORA (2909 m. / 9543 ft.), refreshingly flat through pretty farming countryside. Here we will say our farewell to our horsemen who carried all our belongings along the way. Here our private car will be waiting for us, to take us back to Cusco (3:30 hours’ drive). We will arrive to CUSCO between 5 and 6pm. and finally we leave you at your hotel.
Hiking time: 6 hours
Walk distance: 19km.
Weather: warm day
Altitude: from 1550 m. up to 2909 m.
INCLUDED IN YOUR TOUR:
- Pre meeting and briefing of preparation with your guide 1 or 2 days before the trek at our Cusco Office.
- Safe storage for your belongings at our office in Cusco while you are hiking.
- Pick up from your Cusco hotel.
- Transport from Cusco until Cachora (trailhead) in private car.
- Professional English speaking Tour Guide.
- A second Tour Guide (for groups of 9 or more trekkers).
- Cook and cook assistant to prepare all feeding.
- Entrance fees to Choquequirao Inca Site and the campsite fees.
- 2 hours guided tour in Choquequirao Inca site.
- All meals during the trek( 04 breakfasts, 04 lunches, 03 tea time, 03 dinners)There is the possibility of preparing vegetarian or special diets according to your requirement
- Boiled water to refill your water bottle and hot water for washing purposes.
- Horsemen and horses to carry all camping equipment, personal belongings, food, sleeping tents and kitchen equipment.
- We carry until 8 kg. of your load, so you’ll only walk with your daypack with water (For this load, we will provide duffel bags at your briefing for your personal items).
- One emergency horse which can be ridden if you are feeling ill or too tired.
- The best camping equipment to enjoy a good night’s sleep:
- Dormitory Tent (High Quality Mountain Tents for 4 people, it will be used only for 2 people for your better comfort) and enough space storage for your backpacks.
- Inflatable Mattress Thermarest.
- Dining Tent + camp tables + chairs + gas lamp for the evenings.
- Kitchen Tent and full cooking gear for preparing all meals.
- First Aid Kit and emergency Oxygen balloon.
- Transport from Cachora until your hotel at Cusco in private car.
OPTIONAL SERVICES: Until the last day before your trek, at our Cusco Travel Office situated in the downtown, If you want, you have the option to add to your reserved trek, for an additional payment, the following things:
- Sleeping bag (you can rent it from our Travel Office + $ 5.oo USD per day).
- A pair of trekking poles (you can rent it from our Travel Office + $ 5.oo USD per day).
- An Extra horse to ride (If you want to do the trail horseback riding, you can rent it in our Travel Office + US$ 120.oo for whole trail).
- Personal Trekking gear (please, check the Choquequirao trek what to take)
- Travel Insurance.
- Optional Tips for the travel team (only if you want, at the end of the trail you can give some tips for the tour guide, cook and horsemen).
What to take
Many people assume that the weather is hot in South America, but in the zone of the higher altitude of the Andes, the temperature can feel quite cold, especially at night. So we provide you the full list to organize your backpack from now, if you don’t have one of them, so you can buy it with some time in advance but if you cannot do it, don’t worry there are many camping stores in Cusco City where you can hire or buy what you need.
Please, check this CHOQUEQUIRAO TREK Packing List and remember that everything is very important for the success of your trek.
- Original Passport
- ISIC Student Card, if you are student
- Travel Insurance (some copies)
- A printed voucher issued for us.
- Day pack.
- Sleeping bag.
- Water bottle.
- Purifying tablets or filter
- Some snacks such as cookies, candies, chocolates, energy bars.
- Money belt and some cash, if you want to buy some souvenirs of your visit
- Hiking Shoes and Sandals.
- Warm clothes: especially for the nights as thermal jacket, glove, scarf, wool socks, wool hat for cold nights.
- Waterproof clothing (rain jacket and poncho)
- Synthetic or cotton clothing (hiking pants, socks, trousers, short pants, 4 t-shirts)
- Sun Hat
- Personal medical kit with bandages and anti-inflammatory tablets
- Insect repellent.
- Sun block
- Small towel.
- Toothpaste and toothbrush
- Soap / body wash
- Shampoo and conditioner
- Hairbrush /comb
- Deodorant / body spray
- Toilet paper
- Flashlight (head lamp recommended)
- Photo Camera with extra memory cards and batteries.
- Walking poles with rubber-tipped (Optional).
- Pocket knife
- Some plastic bags.
- A sense of humor.
- We recommend a previous acclimatization in Cuzco City, for at least 2 days and general good health.
he prices of the Trek Choquequirao excursion 4 days / 3 nights are expressed in US dollars and for each excursionist.
General: USD $ 520.00
IMPORTANT: Please note that this tour requires a minimum of 2 adults. The price varies according to the number of passengers