Rainbow Mountain – 1 Day
Vinicunca or Winicunca, also called Seven Colors Mountain, Rainbow Mountain or Mountain of Colors is a mountain in Peru with an altitude of 5,200 meters above sea level. It is located on the road to Nevado Ausangate, in the Andes of Peru, Cusco Region, Canchis province.
The mountain is composed of minerals which allows us to see colors such as pink, whitish, red, green, yellow mustard and earthy brown. The walk to the red mountain is very safe, there is no risk like precipices or crossing of rivers, if during the walk you feel tired you can take some time to rest and enjoy the landscape of the Andes.
Reserving the Rainbow Mountain with us Incredible Peru Tours – Local Tour Operator, your tour will be supported by a specialized guide of bilingual tourism and an experienced professional driver. Rest assured that our entire team will be there with you all the way to help and make your trip a memorable vacation.
- Duration: 1 Full day.
- Starting Point: Cusco.
- Ending Point: Cusco.
- Group Size: Max. 15 people.
- Travel Style: Hiking, Trekking.
- Difficult Level: Moderate difficulty.
- Altitude: 4522 m.a.s.l.
- Distance to travel: approx. 5 km.
- Departure Dates: Daily departures.
- Discover the charm and magic of the Mountain of seven colors.
- Perfect introduction for first-time visitors.
- Ideal for couples, groups of friends, lovers of nature and for the whole family.
- Informative trip led by a friendly and expert local guide.
- The entrance is included.
- Free pick up and return from all hotels in Cusco
Leaving the city of Cusco, we drive towards the town of Pitumarca, from this town the trip is traveled by a road through various rural communities, we will arrive at Quesiuno place where we will enjoy a delicious breakfast then we will continue to Pampa Chiri where the road ends and start the walk of approximately 5 kilometers until you reach the mountain of colors. On the way we will observe the multicolored landscapes, mountains and snowy mountains, Andean animals such as llama, alpaca, sheep and vicuñas. The colors of the Mountain are due to the mineralogical composition:
- Pink color: red clay, mud and sand.
- Whitish color: quartz and marl, rich in calcium carbonate.
- Red color: iron and clays.
- Green color: a compound of filitas and rich clays rich in ferro magnesiano.
- Brown Earthy color: product of fanglomerate composed of rock with magnesium.
- Yellow mustard color: calcareous sandstone rich in sulfur minerals.
CUSCO – TINTINCO – CHILLIWANY – RAINBOW MOUNTAIN – CUSCO
We start with pick up from your hotel between 04:00 a.m. to 04:30 am to make a 2 hour trip approx. to the village Tintinco will be the place where we will take a break to taste a nutritious breakfast.
Our guide will give us directions for the hike that will take approximately 1:30 hours (4 km) to the mountain, we will pass through the community of Chilliwany and then to the foothills of Vinicunca, where the villagers have appropriately organized a point of control to collect the revenue to this mystical place.
After 10 more minutes of bus tour we will arrive at the bus stop and from there we will start the walk passing between mountains of intense colors and small streams of ice water that nourish and give life to the valley, we will see how the colors that surround us are changing with unpredictable weather movement. Upon arrival we will reach an altitude of 5,033 meters or 16,500 feet from where we will be privileged by a delightful view of the Vinicunca and other mountains covered with veils of clouds and snow-capped peaks.
Finally upon arrival at the stop we will board our transport to Tintinco where a lunch prepared by our Andean chef awaits you and we will share the experience with the rest of the group, then we will return to our Minivan that will take us from return to Cusco where we will arrive on average at 5 pm. The last stop will be in the Plaza Regocijo, one block from the Main Square of Cusco.
Note: This tour includes at least 4 to 5 hours of walking, so you should be in good physical condition to do it. This is a challenging day of hiking. Stay some time in Cusco to acclimatize (we recommend 3 days in Cusco or a similar lift).
INCLUDED IN YOUR TOUR:
- Pick up from your hotel in Cusco.
- Tourist transport.
- Professional Guide in English.
- A breakfast and lunch.
- Ticket to the mountain of colors.
- Delivery to your Hotel in Cusco.
- Mineral water.
- Rain poncho (can be purchased anywhere in the city or along the trail).
- Walking sticks.
WHAT TO TAKE
WHAT TO TAKE:
Many people assume that the climate is warm in South America, but in the higher altitude area of the Andes, the temperature can be quite cold, especially at night. So we provide you with the complete list to organize your backpack from now on. Remember that everything is very important to the success of your trip.
- Original passport.
- Water bottle.
- Sun hat, sunglasses, sunscreen
- Lip moisturizer.
- Walking sticks.
- A thermal jacket.
- Rain jacket or poncho (November to March).
- Comfortable walking shoes.
- Camera with memory cards and additional batteries.
- Some cash, if you want to buy some memories of your visit.
- Binoculars (if you have)
USD $ 40. 00 per adult (14 years or more)
USD $ 35. 00 per child (3-13 years)
USD $ 0.00 per infant (0-2 years) – Free, traveling with your parents.
- Please note that this tour requires a minimum of 2 adults.
- If you are thinking of traveling alone, contact us to offer you a date in an organized group.
- Our passion for family travel, so we are traveling with children, we are in contact with our new promotions.